Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Seasons

Summer is my favorite season of the year. A time full of relaxation, vacation, beaches, pools, suntans, and tasty barbecue. Summer can be an awesome time to spend with family and friends to recharge and prepare for the second half of the year. As a student summer has always been a glorious time of freedom from the restraint of studies. Spending time working, relaxing, and enjoying friends avoiding any kind of scholastic thinking that would cause my brain to work too hard. (Trying to save that brain power for the rest of the year.)
Something I have begun to notice is that this type of relaxed attitude during the summer season doesn't just apply to school or work. Many Christian's spiritual lives suffer during this season. The summer months can be a time where many Christians feel distant from God. Now I am not saying that this is the case for all Christians but it is something I have noticed as a pattern in my own life and after talking with others I know that I am not alone. Why is this? It seems odd. We usually have ample amounts of free time compared to other seasons. Time to read, pray, fellowship and learn. But lets be honest that's not what we spend most of our summers doing.
As I think back on past summers they sure have not been times of spiritual growth. I wish I could say they were times of great sanctification but instead they were times of great self indulgence. God wants us to relax enjoy family and His creation but lets not let this relaxed attitude lead us to let our guard down.

1 Corinthians 16:13-14
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Do everything in love.

Commit to making this summer a season to grow ever closer to our Heavenly Father. Lets not grow tired of doing good. Use this beautiful season to thank God for who He is and use the extra time to glorify Him.

1 comment: